Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Let Me Introduce Myself  


Who am I?

I am Ashlyn and I am a 20 year old college student. I am a follower of Christ, a future physical therapist assistant, a medical mystery, and a lover of all things Disney. Oh, and I have type one diabetes (T1D).

What is T1D?

Type One Diabetes (T1D) is an autoimmune condition where the immune system attacks the insulin producing cells of the pancreas. Insulin is a hormone that converts glucose to energy and without it, the glucose sits in the blood stream and builds up. Nothing I did or didn’t do could have caused or prevented T1D and I will be insulin dependent until there is a cure. I manage my diabetes with frequent blood glucose checks and dosing insulin via an insulin pump which I wear 24/7.

Why blog?

I have journaled my journey with T1D since day one and I am the only one who ever reads what is written. When I attended the Children with Diabetes Friends for Life International Conference, I met so many young adults who had blogs and I was hooked, I realized all that I was journaling needed to made into a blog. I want this blog to be a place for people with T1D to come and relate but I also want this to be a place where my family and friends, near and far, can keep up with me and learn more about my new normal.

Why “A Trail of Test Strips”?

My non-T1D readers may not understand the name so let me explain. People with T1D have to test their blood glucose levels 8-12 times per day, which leads to lots of trash. Test strips are tiny and do not always make it to the trash when I test, actually they NEVER make it to the trash. I always joke that if I ever go missing just follow the trail of test strips and you will find me. 


 Follow me and my trail of test strips as I attempt to figure life out as a young adult woman with big dreams, a bum pancreas, and little extra sugar in my blood.

-Ashlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment